Thursday, October 5, 2017

The Myth of the Chemical Cure by Dr Joanna Moncrieff



This is from the Daily Mail:

Dr Joanna Moncrieff, is a Senior lecturer in psychiatry at University College London and author of The Myth Of The Chemical Cure.

I've been practicing psychiatry for 20 years, and in my experience antidepressants don't do any good at all. I wouldn't take them under any circumstances - not even if I were suicidal.
All the research shows is that, at best, antidepressants make people feel a tiny bit better than a placebo. But this doesn't mean they actually treat depression.
After all these years of brain scanning, we don't even have evidence that depression is related to a chemical imbalance in the brain, so the whole idea that we can treat it chemically is questionable.
I believe depression is an extreme reaction to our circumstances, and the best way to recover from it is to work out the cause.
Sometimes that means talking therapies and sometimes it means changing your circumstances, such as getting a new job or addressing relationship problems.
There are, of course, some people who are depressed for no apparent reason, but there is still no evidence they suffer from a brain disease or that antidepressants can help. It's still better to try and find new things and break the cycle of thoughts and behavior.
Antidepressants are psychoactive drugs -they alter the mind, like cannabis or alcohol, and I've always thought that were I depressed, I'd want to have all my faculties to get me out of the rut - not be clouded by a drug whose effects we don't really understand. End Dail Mail report

Dr. Moncrieff says it like it is, and she mirrors our sentiments. Anti-depressants don’t work. Brain scanning shows no evidence that depression has anything to do with chemical imbalance. Psychiatry and pharma science is a total fraud.

This is straight from a psychiatrist who knows about Bigpharma drugging.

No comments: